Making reading a pleasure for Chinese learners. Please drop me an email if there's anything you would like to see added.
23/04/16 An unsubtle plug, but my Chinese teacher (highly recommend!) has just launched website for lessons over Skype/WeChat (here).
29/12/15 Update: added a feature that allows words not in the internal dictionary to be quick added to Skritter.
- Clear and uncluttered
- Highlights words you don't know automatically
- Read a book as a book
- Swipe, or use arrow keys to turn the page
Knows what you know
- Skritter users can add their Skritter vocab
- Or add from any other source!
- Includes HSK and frequency data
- See a sentence from the text with the word
Never not know a word
- Don't know a word? Hover your mouse over it
- Change text size, margins, line space on the fly
- Change all colours. Remembers the chosen font
I'd love to hear your feedback. Contact me: chineseReader 'AT' this domain .co.uk
Version 0.4.5 - 29/12/15
- Per a request, added a feature that allows any word to be selected and added to Skritter, even if it doesn't exist in the app's dictionary.
- If the word is not known to the internal dictionary, any further appearances of the word will mean it appears in popups with the text "** Not in dictionary **". However, once the word has been added and studied in Skritter, when the Skritter data is subsequently reimported into the app, it will update with the definition from Skritter.
- The feature is found in the edit menu (shortcut: CMD-G).
Version 0.4 - 21/04/15
- Fixes a significant bug relating to the correct highlighting for non-Skritter users. This complements the prior release which did not fully implement the fix.
Version 0.3.8 - 21/03/15
- Fixed a bug which prevented known words being highlighted for non-Skritter users.
Version 0.3.7 - 27/04/14
- Better handling of long definitions by:
- Scaling definition text, scaling popup box width, and limiting the max definition length
- Resolved a bug where switching between desktops could prevent popups appearing
Version 0.3.6 - 09/11/13
- OSX Mavericks fixes:
- Bug resolved where popups did not work in the Editor
- Popup related crash fixed
Version 0.3.5 - 06/01/13
- Bug squash release:
- Where there is a problem with the data from Skritter, the app will inform the user where to find the problem rather than crashing
- Decreased minimum window size
- Bug resolved where saved summary occasionally did not load on launch
- Bug resolved where occurrences > 9 did not order correctly in summary
- Rare crashes resolved with multiple clicks of check text
- Status bar messages now consistent per area of app
Version 0.3 - 15/08/12
- All new summary! Main features:
- Sortable by frequency or HSK Level (old & new)
- View an extract containing the word, or jump straight to it
- Add to Skritter & known items
- Pinyin uses tone marks instead of numbers
(Skritter users will have to re-add vocab to take advantage)
- Latest version of CC-CEDICT
- Bug fix: words with multiple definitions/pinyin now show everything
Version 0.2.5 - 08/06/12
- Popups now align with the start of the word
- Popups more stable
- Added colour options for bookmarks
- Save, load and bookmarks supports multiple deletion & delete key
- Misc bugs fixed
Version 0.2 - 03/06/12
- Added saving & loading of texts
- Added bookmarks - remember where you left off
- Added option: resume last opened document
- Added option: 'add to Skritter' button adds to known vocab as well
- Bug fix where the editor scroll bar disappeared
- Bug fix, for when the user tried to edit the text whilst checking it
- New icons, more still to come
Version 0.1 - 27/05/12